The UCP Elsie S. Bellows Fund is a national program operated by UCP that provides funds to individuals with disabilities for assistive technology equipment. UCP affiliates submit an application on behalf of an individual applicant to the UCP national office. Applications are reviewed for funding by the Bellows Committee.
The federal definition of assistive technology is: Any piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
Examples of Allowable Requests
- Wheelchairs (manual and electric)
- Augmentative Communication Devices
- Environmental Controls
- Computer Equipment
- Lifts in the nominee’s own/parent’s van or home
- Hearing Aids/Visual Aids
Examples of Ineligible Requests
- Evaluations or other Assistive Technology “services”
- Furniture and appliances (that is not adapted)
- Equipment to be placed at the UCP Affiliate
- Modifications and Renovations to buildings
*These lists are not meant to be inclusive or exclusive of requests ineligible for funding under the Elsie S. Bellows Fund.